You are hereContracted Inservice
BAWP's Teacher Professional Development
The Bay Area Writing Project's professional development programs are designed to suit the needs and interests of individual schools and districts. BAWP can provide hands-on, interactive workshops during or after the school day, on-site coaching, and assistance with curriculum and planning. Included in what BAWP can offer in professional development workshops and consultations are:
- Teaching writing as a process from prewriting to editing to publishing for emergent through fluent writers
- Setting up a writing-based classroom
- Developing reading-writing connections with a focus on adopted literacy and literature programs
- Writing to learn and writing across the curriculum
- Moving from personal and fictional writing to information-based and expository writing
- Addressing issues of convention and correctness: grammar, punctuation and usage
- Responding to student writing
- Evaluating student writing at all grade levels; creating authentic assessments for writing
- Addressing the needs of language learners in acquiring academic language
Most Frequently Asked Questions about Professional Development
What kinds of programs does BAWP offer individual schools?
Each program is designed to suit the needs and interests of individual schools and districts, including the previous experience the teachers may have had with BAWP's professional development programs.
When and where are the sessions held?
Workshops are usually held at the school site and are offered at times most convenient for the school, most often after school. BAWP also offers workshops during staff inservice days, Saturdays or during the summer months.
What kinds of professional programs does BAWP offer?
- Multiple-session series of interactive workshops, generally about three hours long. These hands-on workshops focus on successful classroom-tested, research-based approaches to the teaching of writing and using writing to learn.
- School-site coaching. Coaching is usually done in conjunction with a series of workshops. BAWP coaches can provide services such as in-class teaching demonstrations, classroom observations followed by conferences and facilitation of teacher inquiry groups, looking at student work and curriculum work groups.
- School-wide writing assessment. BAWP works with schools to develop and provide support for writing assessments which are tied to school and district writing programs and goals.
- On-site summer programs. BAWP provides intensive summer programs where teachers learn more about teaching writing, read and discuss current research, and participate in their own writing. These programs can be designed to support school-site summer programs for students as well.
How much will a comprehensive program cost?
BAWP's fees for workshops are $350 per hour for a workshop with a single presenter and $450 per hour for a workshop with two presenters. This fee includes both a coordinator and presenter(s). Coaching, in-class demonstrations and consultancy is billed at $150 per hour.
The coordinator attends every session, contacts the presenters to give the workshops, and is in charge of threading the workshops into a meaningful whole. The presenters demonstrate teaching methods, writing activities, and a variety of approaches to the teaching of writing which can be used in the classroom.
Because our presenters and coordinators are exemplary classroom teachers themselves, we often have to provide for the cost of substitutes to allow them to leave their classrooms in order to conduct a workshop. That cost, along with the cost of travel and workshop materials, is included in the fees below.
PROGRAM COST Half day or three-hour workshop with one presenter $1000 Half day or three-hour workshop with two presenters $1,350 Full day workshops with one presenter $2,000 Full day workshops with two presenters $2,700 Coaching, consultancy and in-class demonstrations per hour $150 Pre-series planning meeting $150
SAMPLE PROGRAMS WITH APPROXIMATE COSTS After-school workshop series (5-10 sessions @ $350 per hour) $5,250-10,500 On-going school-year professional development in conjunction with summer Young Writers programs or Summer Institutes for teachers Starting at $10,000 On-site supportive professional development activities available throughout the school year Starting at $15,000
If you're interested in setting up some workshops in your school or district please call or email us: